Monday, June 4, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Waffles? Yummmm.


So I came across this amazing concept--making cinnamon rolls in a Belgian Waffler...hmmm. I have a Belgian Waffler in my cupboard that I use somewhat often, but only to make waffles. This really sounded like fun; waffles made from cinnamon rolls. Not to mention, it sounds tasty! Everyone in my family loves cinnamon rolls, but I don't make them that often. A perfect family night, game night, or movie night treat, I was thinking.

So in the name of pure (kitchen) science, I decided to try this out and see if it really was as easy and awesome as "rumor" has it. Well, guess what? IT IS!

So how do you do it? Easy peasy. Grab a tube (or three) of canned cinnamon rolls. Since I am a "from scratch" cook, I had to wait and buy these; I didn't have them just hanging in the fridge. I bought the Kroger brand of cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting. They have them with regular frosting, too, if you're not a cream cheese fan. If you're a "name brand only shopper," they will work too.

1) Heat up your Belgian waffle maker.

2) Open your tube of cinnamon rolls and separate four of them.

3) Place one roll in each section of the waffle iron and close it up.

4) When the waffle iron's "done" light comes on, open it up and lift them out.

5) Lay them out on a tray and drizzle with the frosting. If you like the frosting to melt and fill up the "cups" in the waffles, do this while they are still warm (not hot--it will melt right off if you put it on them right off the iron). If you like the drizzled look, wait for them to cool before you drizzle the frosting over the top. I did some of each type, you should be able to see the difference in the picture.

6) Enjoy!

I whipped up three cans for our family. It took me about 30 minutes, start to finish. If your family is smaller, you won't need as many and you can be done quicker. We really liked the extra crispness of the cinnamon rolls baked in the waffler. (Well all but one of us loved the crispiness. One preferred the softness of regular cinnamon rolls. No problem--more for the rest of us!) The house smelled wonderful and you don't have to heat the house up with the oven or waste all that extra electricity. Win-win-win.

Thanks to Henrietta at "A Hen's Nest" for this great idea.  http://ahensnest.com/2011/09/waffled-cinnamon-rolls-recipe.html

No comments: